First Touch

NYCFC Lose Another 5 Goal Thriller

New York City Football Club suffered a disappointing 3-2 defeat on the road to Inter Miami CF on Saturday night. The Boys in Blue took a 34th-minute lead through Talles Magno before Alejandro Pozuelo tied the game. The first-half scoring was rounded out by Thiago Andrade deep into injury time to give NYCFC a lead at the half. The second period saw Ariel Lassiter level the game for a second time just after the hour mark before Pozuelo gave Miami the lead and ultimately the three points.

nycfc in action

New York City Football Club were hoping to conjure something special in the Magic City as they took on Inter Miami CF on Saturday night.

The Boys in Blue were aiming to bounce back from defeat last time out against Columbus Crew, with Interim Head Coach Nick Cushing making three changes to the XI – Thiago Andrade Maxime Chanot, and Maxi Moralez replacing Tayvon Gray, Alex Callens, and Héber.

First Half

Cushing’s changes saw Talles Magno lead the line, and he was afforded a chance to open the scoring just four minutes in. A consequence of Santiago Rodríguez’s driving run and smart through ball, the Brazilian managed to round the keeper but hit the side netting with his attempted finish.

At the other end, a powerful drive from Robert Taylor in the 10th minute required a strong palm from Sean Johnson to parry it away from goal.

Both teams were trying to find a route to goal but chances were few and far between. In the 28th minute, that changed, however, when a deep run by Rodríguez allowed him to a shot off from a narrow angle that clipped the left hand post.


The game’s first goal would arrive six minutes later. The move began with a dangerous set piece on the edge of the penalty area by Moralez.

After shaping to shoot, he clipped the ball to the back post where Maxime Chanot brilliantly headed the ball back into the path of Talles Magno – his low drive hitting the post and going in. Unfortunately, the lead would last only five minutes after a pass from Bryce Duke found Alejandro Pozuelo on the edge of the box and he curled in an equalizer.

Unphased by Miami’s goal, NYCFC quickly set about trying to retake the lead. Their first chance to do so came from a corner that found Acevedo on the edge of the box – his volleyed effort skipping by the left-hand post.

With a minute of injury time to play the Boys in Blue continued to push and were rewarded with the game’s third goal. A delightful pass through the lines by Moralez found Talles Magno in space. He played it off to the overlapping Acevedo on the right, who in turn squared it to Rodríguez.

The Uruguayan’s attempt was well blocked but on hand to collect the rebound was Gabriel Pereira. He was unable to maintain the ball, and as it squirmed loose on hand to rifle it home was Thiago Andrade.

Second Half

The second period began with an early change for NYCFC as Pereira was forced off through injury in the 52nd minute in place of his compatriot Héber. One of his first involvements saw him make up a three-man counter-attacking effort lead by Talles Magno – the youngster eventually feeding Malte Amundsen in to get a shot on goal.

The hosts were still proving a threat and after Jean Mota stung the palms of Sean Johnson they found an equalizer through Ariel Lassiter in the 63rd minute. Four minutes later, Cushing turned to his bench to introduce Anton Tinnerholm in place of the tireless Acevedo.

Miami were now pushing to try and take the lead for the first time on the night, and they came close through Higuain in the 69th minute when he was found in the box six yards out – Johnson brilliantly denying him from close range.

NYCFC’s final substitution of the game came in the 74th minute as Thiago Andrade departed the game to be replaced by Homegrown midfielder Justin Haak. Malte Amundsen thought he had won a penalty kick after being clipped by Damion Lowe, but the referee instead signaled for a goal kick to Miami.

The hosts would take the lead in the 83rd minute after Pozuelo pounced on a loose pass by Alfredo Morales and finished past Johnson. In the end that would prove the decisive goal on the night and confirm defeat for NYCFC on the road.

nycfc logo

Scroll to Top