First Touch

NYCFC Tie In Vancouver

NYCFC were aiming for their first win of the MLS Regular Season on Saturday afternoon as they took on the Vancouver Whitecaps at BC Place. Ronny Deila’s side started the game the brighter of the two sides but were unable to convert that control into a goal. The second half would prove a similar story and ultimately the game would end scoreless – handing both teams a point.

New York City Football Club were on the hunt for three points as they traveled to BC Place to face Vancouver Whitecaps on Saturday afternoon. Head Coach Ronny Deila made one change to the XI that started the team’s season opener against LA Galaxy last weekend with Thiago Andrade subbing in for Santiago Rodríguez.

First Half

Sporting their new Volt kit, the visitors started the game strongly and managed to test Vancouver goalkeeper Thomas Hasal early on as Thiago unleashed a ferocious volley that Hasal managed to parry away.

That momentum continued into the 15th minute when another set-piece opportunity eventually gave Maxi Moralez the chance to hang the ball up to the back post -there waiting was defender Alex Callens and he crashed a header against the Whitecaps’ crossbar.

Unfortunately, NYCFC were forced into a first-half substitution when Tayvon Gray pulled up in the 20th minute. That allowed Andres Jasson to enter the game in his place.

Vancouver’s first real chance of the half would come three minutes later when a cross from Ryan Gauld found Lucas Cavallini’s head, but Sean Johnson was on hand to gather the ball. As the half approached a conclusion NYCFC earned a dangerous freekick wide right that Moralez laid off to Taty Castellanos, but his effort was blocked.

Second Half

The second period began with a great headed chance for Alfredo Morales in the 49th minute after he connected with another dangerous delivery from Moralez, but it ended up narrowly wide.

In the 64th minute, Deila turned to his bench and made a triple substitution. Entering the field was Gedion Zelalem, Héber, and Santiago Rodríguez in place of Keaton Parks, Talles Magno, and Taty Castellanos. The hosts continued to present a danger on the break and from set-pieces. That forced NYCFC into making several important blocks and kept the game scoreless.

Deila’s final change of the game allowed Alfredo Moarles to depart the field in place of Thiago Martins for his MLS debut in a move that also saw NYCFC shift to a back three system.

In the 89th minute, Thiago Andrade had the chance to win the game when he volleyed a Rodríguez cross towards goal, but it was well saved by Hasal in the Vancouver goal. That would prove to be the last chance of note and saw NYCFC settle for a well-earned point on the road – their first of the 2022 MLS Regular Season.

Next Game

Next up for New York City FC is a Concacaf Champions League first leg game against Comunicaciones on Tuesday, March 8. Kickoff is scheduled for 8:00PM EST (TV schedule).

nycfc logo

Scroll to Top