First Touch

NYCFC Fall To Philadelphia Union

NYCFC were back on home soil on Saturday as they took on Philadelphia Union at Yankee Stadium. The hosts would snatch the lead in the 12th minute through Alejandro Bedoya. They doubled that advantage in the 33rd minute through Daniel Gazdag. That would be the extent of the goal scoring on a disappointing afternoon for NYCFC as they fell 2-0 to the Union.

new york city take on philly union

New York City FC welcomed an in form Philadelphia Union to Yankee Stadium on Saturday for a repeat of last season’s Eastern Conference Final.

Head Coach Ronny Deila made one change to the side that participated in Concacaf Champions League midweek, with Maxime Chanot replaced by Keaton Parks.

First Half

NYCFC’s first chance of the game would come early on after a driving run by Andres Jasson created an overload opportunity for Talles Magno but his effort was tame. It would be the visitors that took the lead in the 12th minute, however, after a set-piece routine landed at the feet of Alejandro Bedoya to convert from 12 yards out.

The Boys in Blue thought they had a route back into the game in the 31st minute when a foul by Jack Elliot on Santiago Rodríguez earned NYCFC a penalty and the defender a red card. The play was subsequently reviewed by VAR and Rodríguez was adjudged to have handled the ball in the build-up. Two minutes later the Union doubled their lead when a low cross to the back post was tapped in by Daniel Gazdag on the line.

Toward the end of the half a fine pass by Keaton Parks found Jasson in space and he unleashed a fierce drive that ended up in the side netting. Midway through stoppage time NYCFC created arguably their best chance of the half when Taty Castellanos laid the ball off to Keaton Parks, but his effort from the edge of the box zipped wide.

Second Half

The second half brought with it two changes as Keaton Parks and Andres Jasson departed the field to be replaced by Nicolás Acevedo and Héber. Those changes reaffirmed the team’s commitment to attack as they tried to find a way back into the contest.

They were almost rewarded in the 63rd minute when a deep corner was brilliantly headed back across goal by Castellanos, only for Nathan Harriel to clear it off the line.

NYCFC continued to push for a goal and in the 75th minute they were awarded a freekick on the edge of the Union penalty box, but they could not test Andre Blake. The 78th minute saw a second pair of changes for NYCFC as Thiago Andrade and Chris Gloster entered the game in place of Rodríguez and Malte Amundsen.

In injury time a good cross from Gloster found Thiago Andrade free in the penalty box but he was unable to get his headed effort on target. Castellanos then found himself free just before full time but his effort ended up over the bar. That would prove to be the final notable act of the afternoon and confirm a disappointing 2-0 defeat for NYCFC.

Next Game

Next up for New York City FC is an MLS meeting with Toronto FC at BMO Field on Saturday, April 2. Kickoff is scheduled for 4:00PM EST (TV Schedule).

nycfc logo

Scroll to Top