First Touch

NYCFC Advance In Champions League

NYCFC were keen to secure a spot in the semifinals of the Concacaf Champions League on Tuesday night. In the 31st minute a delightful freekick from Taty Castellanos gave NYCFC a lead on the night. Comunicaciones would equalize on the stroke of half-time.

new york city fc players celebrate

NYCFC would reestablish their lead in the 52nd minute thanks to a header from Talles Magno. The hosts once again restored parity in the 69th minute when Nicolas Samayoa tapped home from close range.

Comunicaciones then took the lead on the night when Larin tapped in the ball three minutes later. A. fourth goal of the evening for the hosts would arrive via Jose Contreras in the 88th minute. Despite losing on the night NYCFC advanced to the next round via away goals – the tie finishing 5-5 on aggregate.

First Half

New York City Football Club traveled to Guatemala on Tuesday knowing that a positive result against Comunicaciones would see them advance to the next round of the Champions League.

Head Coach Ronny Deila opted to make two changes from the side that beat CF Montréal 4-1 at the weekend, with Keaton Parks and Santiago Rodríguez replaced by Maxime Chanot and Nicolás Acevedo.

Those introductions facilitated a change in system for NYCFC as they reverted to the same back three formation that saw them find success during the first leg. That would prove helpful in stifling the hosts early on with their attempts to transition quickly from defence to attack unable to produce anything in the way of meaningful opportunities.

Things quickly changed in the 29th minute when José Corena connected with a corner just yards from the line only for Sean Johnson to excellently parry the ball away before punching the loose ball clear.

At the other end, NYCFC were quick to respond and two minutes after nearly conceding they had the lead through Taty Castellanos – his freekick bending around the wall and into the net.

The visitors continued to push for a route back into the contest as half-time approached and they did just that in the 45th minute when Andrés Lezcano converted from just outside the box.’

Second Half

Comunicaciones began the second half the brighter of the two sides and that saw them hit the post through Alexander Larin after just three minutes.

Who the next goal of the game would fall to was anyones guess over at slot online, but it was New York who clinched it, however, and once again it would come in the wake of a major chance for the home side.mA freekick from the right by Maxi Moralez was cleared and after collecting the ball Castellanos floated it into the box and onto the head of Talles Magno to score.

The 59th minute saw four new faces enter the field for NYCFC as Chris Gloster, Keaton Parks, Héber, and Thiago Andrade replaced Malte Amundsen, Alfredo Morales, Maxi Moralez, and Taty Castellanos.

Comunicaciones did find an equalizer on the night in the 69th minute. A set-piece opportunity was headed towards goal, and although Johnson saved the initial effort, Nicolas Samayoa was able to convert the rebound. The hosts then took the lead in the 72nd minute after NYCFC failed to clear a corner and the ball was returned into the box and tapped home from close range by Larin.

In the 85th minute, NYCFC had a freekick opportunity from range but Nicolás Acevedo was unable to keep his effort underneath the goalkeeper’s crossbar.

Comunicaciones added a fourth in the 88th minute when veteran midfielder Jose Contreras drilled a low effort from range into the bottom corner.

In the second minute of injury time, Vuk Latinovich became NYCFC’s final substitute, replacing Talles Magno. That would be the final notable act of the game and confirm the final aggregate result as 5-5, with NYCFC advancing on away goals.

nycfc logo

Next Up

Next up for New York City FC is an MLS meeting with Philadelphia Union at Yankee Stadium on Saturday, March 19. Kickoff is scheduled for 1:00PM EST (TV Schedule here).

Scroll to Top