First Touch

NYCFC Overcome San Jose 3-0

NYCFC were back at Yankee Stadium on Sunday aiming to take all three points against the San Jose Earthquakes. A close game saw both sides heading towards a point before a powerful effort from Keaton Parks in the 74th minute broke the deadlock.

new york soccer players in action

The game’s second goal would arrive four minutes later when substitute Gabriel Pereira curled a delightful strike into the bottom corner. There was still time for a third goal on the day as defender Chris Gloster registered his first MLS goal in the 88th minute via a low finish.

Head Coach Ronny Deila made just one change to the XI that played out an enthralling 5-4 win against Toronto FC last time out, with Thiago Martins replacing the suspended Alfredo Morales.

First Half

The visitors arrived full of confidence after overcoming Seattle Sounders 4-3 in their last outing, and that renewed energy was clear from the early exchanges. Much of that early pressure manifested in opportunities for Cristian Espinoza. After several half chances, the Argentine finally tested Sean Johnson in the 22nd minute, but the 32-year-old stood up to the challenge.

The home side’s first real chance would arrive in the 28th minute after Santiago Rodríguez’s corner was headed against the post by Talles Magno – the goalkeeper doing well to smother Taty Castellanos’ follow-up effort.

NYCFC were now turning the screw as halftime approached and some dogged pressure from Castellanos allowed him a 2v1 opportunity alongside Talles Magno, but the final pass was just behind his teammate.

Second Half

As the second half began there was almost a breakthrough for NYCFC inside the first minute after a delightful cross from Malte Amundsen found Rodríguez’s head, but he couldn’t keep it on target.

Unfortunately, that would prove to be Amundsen’s last major involvement in the game as he was forced off the field through injury in the 56th minute – Chris Gloster replacing him at left-back.

NYCFC thought they’d taken the lead barely two minutes later when a well-worked team move finished with Castellanos feeding Talles Magno before he rounded the goalkeeper to score. His joy was short-lived, however, as it was quickly ruled out by the offside flag.

That seemed to spark a response from the Quakes, and minutes later Eric Remedi tested the NYCFC goal with an effort from distance that Johnson was forced to tip over.

The 66th minute saw two further changes for NYCFC as Maxi Moralez and Gabriel Pereira entered the game in place of Thiago Andrade and Nicolás Acevedo.


Still pressing for the breakthrough, the Boys in Blue were finally rewarded in the 74th minute. A move started by Keaton Parks saw him play the ball into Talles Magno before continuing his run into the box. The Brazilian returned it to his teammate and he rifled the ball into the roof of the net.

NYCFC were now firing on all cylinders and a second goal was not far behind. This time it was the substitute Periera that picked up the ball on the right just inside the penalty area before curling the ball into the bottom corner past JT Marcinkowski.

It should have been three in the 83rd minute after a turnover high up the field allowed Maxi Moralez to play Castellanos in 1v1, but his eventual effort ended up over the bar.

The Boys in Blue would threaten with several more half-chances before getting that third goal in the 88th minute through Gloster. The defender was found with a precise diagonal pass by Moralez before he powered towards goal and fired low and hard past the goalkeeper.

Deila introduced his final sub in the 91st minute as Rodríguez was replaced by Gedion Zelalem. That would prove to be the final notable act of the game and confirmed a convincing 3-0 victory for NYCFC.

nycfc logo

Next Up for New York City Football Club is a meeting with Sporting Kansas City on Saturday, May 7th. Kickoff is scheduled for 7:00PM EST (TV schedule). Get your tickets for the game here.

Scroll to Top