We all are aware that football is a sport that puts the players under high physical and mental pressure. The crowd cheers for the power shows, agility, mental capacity, and endurance of soccer players. The rapid bursts of energy, continuous endurance for an entire match, and the cognitive sharpness of players to make split-second decisions demand proper and well-balanced training and nutrition.
This is the basic reason why soccer players opt to consume dietary supplements so they can keep performing well. These supplements mainly include a wide range of vitamins, proteins, carbohydrates, vitamin D, calcium, etc. We will delve into the details of the best supplements for football players below.
Why do Footballers need special supplements?
Before we dive into the main supplements of a footballer’s diet, understanding the “why” here is quite essential.
Footballers have unique physical demands that require careful nutritional inputs along with proper training. You will see them consuming plenty of vitamins with other nutritious meals because a balanced diet filled with supplements will offer the following:
- High energy supply
- Speedy muscle repair and recovery
- Balance electrolytes and offer hydration
- Better cognitive functioning of the brain
Sometimes, footballers also consume workout supplements that help them during training sessions which adds to the overall endurance and energy.
8 Best Supplements for Football Players
Following is a list of the best supplements a soccer player must have in his/her diet.
Carbohydrates serve as a primary and quick source of energy for footballers. Players have to perform under intense physical conditions where they are continuously running with repeated sprints and rapid direction changes. Carbohydrates offer much value because of the following:
- They effectively convert into glucose, which is the primary fuel of the body during high-intensity workouts.
- It is stored in the muscles and liver as glycogen, which is stored energy and serves as a backup for the body.
- Carbohydrates contribute significantly to endurance that players need to last for a ninety-minute game.
- Carbohydrates fight with a blood sugar level drop in the body, a.k .a. hypoglycemia.
Proteins are a critical component of a footballer’s diet plan. This supplement plays a vital role in the overall performance and recovery of players. By consuming proteins in a balanced way, footballers can expect to see the following benefits:
- A quick recovery in rebuilding the damaged muscle fibers, especially amino acids in proteins like BCAAs, plays a key role in preventing muscle breakdown.
- An additional strength and power development in the player’s body.
- A better immune system with stronger antibodies and immune cells to fight off illness.
- Players can prevent injury because proteins improve tendon and ligament strength.
Creatine is a known supplement that is pretty beneficial for offering the energy you need for bursts of high-intensity activities. It enhances the production of phosphocreatine, which aids in the rapid production of ATP. Adenosine triphosphate is a primary source of energy in the body. This increase in ATP helps players perform more explosively during intense moments. Creatine can also help in lean muscle growth when you combine it with resistance training.
Calcium is one of the building blocks of strong bones. Thus, to get strength and density in bones, players need to take calcium supplements or intake foods that are rich in calcium. Moreover, calcium intake can also lower the chances of athletes getting osteoporosis, which ensures the long-term health and performance of players.
Soccer is a demanding sport that places direct stress on the cardiovascular system. However, calcium intake can significantly lower the chances of heart disease why regulating efficient flood and oxygen flow in the body.
Vitamins are essential micronutrients that are necessary for soccer players for various physiological processes. Following is a list of a few reasons why vitamins play a major role in supporting the overall health and performance of the body:
- B vitamins, including B1, B2, biotin, niacin (B3), and a few more, are integral to energy metabolism. They regulate the conversion of carbohydrates, fats, and proteins into energy.
- Vitamin C and D play a crucial role in building a strong immune system.
- Vitamin D and K are essential for developing healthy bones.
- Vitamin C also helps in collagen synthesis, which improves the health of connective tissues like tendons and ligaments. As a result, it helps in the prevention of injuries. Moreover, it also enhances the absorption of non-heme iron into the blood.
Iron is one of the vital supplements in the footballer’s diet program. It is a key component of hemoglobin, which carries oxygen from the lungs to muscles and other tissues. Moreover, iron is also involved in the production of ATP, which keeps your favorite players running and enduring critical conditions on the field. Iron is also beneficial for fighting fatigue and improves the overall stamina of players.
Caffeine is widely known in athletes due to its stimulant properties. Soccer players also consider it an essential supplement because it increases the alert and focus of players. Coffee can also increase the endurance, speed, and power outputs of players on the field.
Fish oil, a packet of omega-3 fatty acids is one of the major food supplements in the soccer player’s diet. Omega-3 fatty acids have anti-inflammatory properties which can help after a long training or a field match.
This feature also contributes to joint health after sudden stress and changes. Fish oil also helps fight cardiovascular diseases and regulates the blood flow in the body.
Now you know which supplements are best for a soccer player’s diet and performance on the field. If you are a soccer player, then it is ideal that you consult a professional who will provide you with a proper meal plan that will include all essential supplements in the right amounts.
Do let us know if you have any more questions regarding this topic!